Le Petit Journal d' AX

Carpe diem!
活在當下!
三川安敦-삼천안돈-मित्सुकव अंतोन-اسماعيل

Thursday, August 5

Pelog and Medog

There's two linguistically technical words that I could never translate into other language even had I tried to. They are Pelog and Medog.

Pelog is a condition for Indonesian speaker who couldn't trill the R sound in their pronunciation. For example, Ular lari lurus, will be pronounced as ulal lali lulus. This is mostly happened to Indonesian born Chinese who didn't get to master the sound at early age.

Medog is a condition for Javanese speaker who speaks Indonesian with heavy Javanese accent. I do not think you can use this word for Batak speaker who speaks Indonesian with heavy Batak's accent. That's why I think the word can only apply to that situation and cannot be used otherwise.

ax
---------------------------------
comments:

Pelog! I never heard of this word pelog. I asked my colleagues 'Do you know pelog?' To my surprise they all knew the word, and they said pelog was when a deaf person talk, or a stroke survivor. They can't pronounce clearly and sort of mumbles.
Sisil

Chris: I've talked to a puertorican spanish before, they have a name for people who couldn't pronounce "R" with proper trill. I gotta ask this guy again. I forgot the name for it.
Ax: don't they call them "japanese"?
Chris: 555

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home